22 May What You Need To Know About Stump Grinding and Removal in Jacksonville, FL
There may come a time when cutting down a tree and removing it from the property is the only course of action. The tree may need to be removed if its growth is posing a danger to the health of the residents, neighbors or general public. Another reason a tree may need to be removed is if it already in its final stages and about to die completely. In any case, a tree service Jacksonville FL tree removal project is one best left to the experts.
After the tree has been successfully removed, there is still the question of what to do about that stump. The tree stump could be unsightly and ruin the aesthetics of your property. But, getting that stump out of the ground is another process altogether.
However, there are alternatives to pulling the stump from the earth. Stump grinding is another solution. Stump removal and stump grinding have their advantages and disadvantages, but both will need to be handled by a tree service Jacksonville, FL arborist.
The important thing for you, the homeowner, to know, is what the differences are between these two tasks so you can make an enlightened decision based on the values of your home and property.
What is stump removal?
As its name implies, stump removal is the removal of the entire network of roots and tendrils that have grown into the soil over the course of the tree’s life. Once completed, there will be a gaping hole in the ground. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you are planning on doing with the property.
First are the advantages of stump removal, which are the following:
- The entire tree is gone, stump roots and everything, making for a “neat and tidy” look.
- Since the roots are gone, the tree won’t be growing back.
- A new tree can be planted in place of the old one.
- No accidents or damage caused by colliding with a semi-invisible stump
On the other hand, removing a tree stump has its disadvantages as well, including:
- Considerable task which is much larger with larger trees.
- Leaves an unsightly hole. Unless you have a plant to plant a new tree or build something in this spot, the best solution is to fill the hole with soil.
- Not exactly an “environmentally-friendly” solution
What is stump grinding?
Stump grinding involves grinding the stump and its structures down to the level of the ground so that they will begin to rot away and soon disappear naturally.
There are advantages to this procedure as well.
- Much less difficult for a professional tree removal company
- Requires less-advanced equipment than stump removal
- Less-time consuming than stump removal
- Does not leave an unsightly hole
Stump removal also has some specific disadvantages:
- Because the roots are still there small sprouts may shoot upwards from the stump area.
- The visible roots may cause unsightly decays
- Presence of roots materials may lead to health and safety problems.
What to do about your tree stumps?
When dealing with your tree removal and stump issues, the best thing to do is to consult a tree service Jacksonville FL professional arborist. They will be able to provide a professional perspective on the specifics of your situation. This will allow you to make a decision that suits your needs the best.